Saturday, September 09, 2006

Fence Me In

After two years in our house we finally got our privacy fence! It looks amazing and it makes the yard look so much bigger - not sure how that works - I figured it would make it look smaller because it boxes it in. The fence also gives a great background to our gardens.

I did totally lose my fledgling woodland native garden - I guess the installers thought they were weeds - they trampled every last plant - you can't even see remnants of them. The good news it gives me an excuse to hit my favorite native nursery in the spring.

So why the privacy fence when we have awesome neighbors? Well, we sometimes like our privacy and don't want to be social every time we sit outside. We also got the fence for our dog. While I'm heartbroken for her that she can't sit at the front gate anymore and look out, I feel better knowing she is safe from rowdy rock throwing teenagers, hoods who might steel her to train their fighting dogs or anti-pit bull wackos who might slip her a little yummy antifreeze.

I felt bad when she first ventured outside after the fence was set. She loves to greet the neighbors and watch the dogs 2 yards down. She had a look of utter confusion on her face. It really was sad. So I showed her that if she puts her paws on the ledge of the porch she can still see - you can't imagine the relief I felt to see that tail wagging!

2 comments:

wzgirl said...

Beautiful backyard patio. And, your basil looks amazing. I am so unlucky with basil!! Love the fence....

Cavatica said...

The fence looks great. I'd love to see a picture of your dog!