Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Almost There...

Aloha! You see that little flower in my profile? That's a plumeria, the heavenly scented tropical flower used to make Hawaiian leis. On our first visit to Hawaii I quickly fell in love with the flower's simplicity and smell. Ahhhhhhh....

Anyway, we brought home a plumeria tree. It was basically a stick in a bag, we planted it and amazingly it grew. It lives outside in the summer and comes inside when the temperature goes below 55. It drops its leaves in the winter in our climate. We got 2 leaves the first year and a few more each year since. Earlier this summer it started growing a strange top. We thought it was branching off. We were wrong...after four years it's FLOWERING!!!

My very own plumeria right in my very own back yard! Here's the first bloom beginning to open - and the smell!...sigh! I'll post a full bloom soon!

Goodnight all, I'm off to dream of Hawaii...

7 comments:

atomic mama said...

Fantastic story! And I love the scent. Congratulations!!

Rhonda said...

Ohhh purty! I can't say that I've ever seen a plumeria before now, but it certainly looks nice. :)

Anonymous said...

That is incredible -
I would be estatic too!
Too bad you can't do scratch 'n sniff on the internet.

Mamacita said...

We went to Hawaii (Kauai and the Big Island) last year for our 10th anniversary. It was heavenly. I loved it and I took a lot of pictures of flower, especially plumerias. My favorite is when it "rains" flower petals out of the trees. Beautiful! Aloha!

walternatives said...

Oh I wish you could post a link with the scent! Lovely - excited to see the bigger bloom.

wzgirl said...

How COOL! I love stories like that - 4 years & worth the wait! I can imagine the loveliness....

Anonymous said...

I have a thing for Hawaii. A big thing!