Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Why China?

The simple answer is because that is where our child is. But such choices are hardly that simple.

When we decided to pursue international adoption we initially chose Poland. Jacek's family is Polish and my family is of Eastern European descent so it seemed the logical choice. We moved forward with the intial interviews for our home study and then attended the first required class. That's when it hit us. Poland just was not the right choice for us. I'll never forget the moment on the way to lunch that day when Jacek asked "what do you think about adopting from China?" We took a step back, reviewed the pros and cons of each program and looked a bit deeper. The result was that we realized that China really is where our future child is.

The irony is that when I was young I used to tell people that if I ever decided to have a child that I would adopt one from China...and now I am!

1 comment:

Lisa~~ said...

It's funny how things work out. When I was quite young, I would always point at Asian children and tell my Mum that was what my child would look like and now it's going to be true!