Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Why Adoption?

One of the first questions asked of us on this journey was "why adoption?" Many families choose to adopt because they are unable to conceive a child. Others are strong believers in zero population growth. Still others simply want a child and decide that their child is one of the millions of orphans in the world who want or need a family.

We are in the latter group. To us, genetic material is not a prerequisite for familial love and frankly, I've never had the desire to experience pregnancy. Jacek and I were both touched by adoption thoughout our lives - friends and acquaintances who were adoptees, birthmothers, or adoptive parents.

Perhaps it's these experiences that make adoption seem like the natural and obvious choice for us. We can't imagine completing our family in any other way.

5 comments:

Jen said...

You put this so eloquently and captured it perfectly. Thanks for sharing. We're in the 2nd and 3rd categories ourselves. It's nice to see others with the same experience.

Mama Melissa said...

I just posted something similar about why I'm adopting... :)

Good luck!

Peace,
Melissa
LID 10/31/05

Cavatica said...

We're also choosing adoption as a first choice for having a family. Family is not about genetics for me and pregnancy sounds down right creepy. I agree with #2&3 also.

Kim M. said...

Nice post.

I've felt the need to explain why, with 3 bio children already. I think there is a post I need to make also.

I just joined the Kick Ass Adoption site and found your blog. I look forward to following your journey to Hana.

lindsey. said...

Very excited to have found your blog while researching "preferential adopters" today. My husband and I want children as well and do not much care which way we get them. I am excited to read your blog and learn from your experience. Thanks for sharing!