Thursday, November 01, 2007

Cyber Shower: New Beginnings


The ALT cybershower has begun! Just before vacation, I received the most amazing gift from my good friend at walternatives (password protected) encompassing our first swap theme "New Beginnings". Many thanks to the artist for this precious gift. We will treasure it always.

In concert with our shared belief in reduce, reuse, recycle, the artist created this shadowbox collage using only two new items: the frame and the fabric covering the mailbox door - the door itself was found behind her house. The background is part of a US map showing the midwest and Chicago. The inside edges are lined with vintage letters written in a foreign language, the artist thinks it may be Norweigan. A found mailbox door is the centerpiece, covered in a beautiful green fabric. Peeping up out of the door is a little chick and on the front another letter excerpt with a Polish postage stamp. It's simply amazing - the meaning, thought and artistry put into this gift floored me when I opened it. And even though the artist has not seen my house, it happens that this piece of art will find the perfect home in our newly decorated home office - it's like it was created with this room in mind - how perfect!

The card is made from a vintage letter and photo as well and is inscribed with the following quote:

For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle int he way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served; a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. ~Alfred D. Souza

2 comments:

wzgirl said...

Youknowwho really outdid herself - that is such a beautiful piece. Lucky you!

Love the pic of Tuesday - OMGosh, what a sweetheart. Our Iris hid in the closet all night - she was way overwhelmed by the trickortreaters....

walternatives said...

Happiness IS the way. I'm glad that you love it as much as I do... I'm glad we were matched for the swap, fellow RRR friend.
See you soon - until then, X's from Texas