Monday, February 05, 2007

Mandarin Monday

I'm finding Mandarin class to be a lot of fun, especially the cultural tidbits he adds in here and there. In this week's class we each received a Chinese name - basically the teacher took characters that sound similar to our names - and we used brushes and paint to try our hand at creating our characters a la calligraphy. It was rather meditative after a while and I'm thinking I need a Buddha Board. We also drilled numbers and practiced saying them and translating into English.

So I leave you with 0-10 in pinyin: ling, yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, ba, jiu, shi
And just for fun, 1101: yiqianlingershiyi
And, finally for you lottery players out there 1 million: yiyi

Zai Jian!

5 comments:

wzgirl said...

You go, girl. This is awesome. Mandarin is such a difficult language - mad props to you for sticking to your attempts to master it.

Anonymous said...

I agree, kudos to you for trying to undertake such a huge task. I'm trying to learn Mandarin by using my Ling talking Chinese doll. So far, I know Ni Hao. Wait, I think I already knew that.

4D said...

That is a great way to stay busy and learn something that will def. be handy one day soon.

Keep smilin!

Cavatica said...

Ni hao! Hao buhao?
We have our class on Tuesdays and we love it too. Tomorrow we're going out to a Chinese restaurant with our teacher and her husband, one of the students. We've become good friends with them. Anyway, it's great and we're doing our best. The tones are a beast! We were also given Chinese names.
Zai Jian,
Mei Jie (it means Beautiful Eyelashes)

Red Sand said...

How often do you do the characters? I love our classes - they are such a change of mental pace that they refresh me - but we're only doing pinyin. And yes, I recommend the Buddha Board - they're great!