Saturday, July 29, 2006

Butterflies!


The native prairie garden is now blooming like crazy. When I purchased the plants I was told it would attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Well, look what visited us recently? It's a Tiger Swallowtail. Unfortunately I wasn't home but Jacek was able to get this great photo. We've seen at least 3 other kinds of butterflies several kinds of bees in the garden in the past week, too. One butterfly even let me get nose to nose with it. It's so relaxing to sit on the patio and just watch.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are those "coneflowers"? I have a bush of them in my garden too. They haven't bloomed this year yet only because the bunnies have been chewing it! I also have another variety called "mexican hat flowers", also a coneflower that I liked in the picture(on the little card when I bought them) but not sure I like them in real life!
Love the butterfly...

M said...

Yes, those are purple cone flowers. Brown eyed susans, blazing stars, purple prairie clover and butterfly weed are also blooming - well, the baby bunny that squeezed through our rabbit fence ate most of the priaire clover, but there is one little bloom :) All native to the midwest prairie. The coneflowers seem to be the favorite of the butterflies and bees.

Kim M. said...

So Lovely!

Polar Bear said...

What a pretty butterfly!

Nina said...

Beautiful!! There's something about butterflies that just makes me smile...

Mary said...

wow, what a beautiful creature!

Rosie said...

I love butterflies