Friday, April 18, 2008

Shakin' & Quakin'

I was awakened around 4:40 AM this morning out of a really fun dream - by an earthquake! For all you California folks out there, this is not a common occurrence here in the Midwest. A 5.2 tremor hit downstate but was felt as far north as Milwaukee. Apparently, because of the flatness of the land out here, the energy from quakes tends to disperse much farther than in the western quakes.

I began to feel the shaking in my dream, woke up and looked at my husband thinking perhaps he was having some fitful sleep, but he was still. I propped up on my elbows and realized I was hearing objects rattling, it wasn't just the bed. It lasted about 20 seconds and I noted the time on the clock so I could get online to see if I was crazy or if it was the earthquake I suspected.

This is actually the second time this has happened to me, but the first time, a few years ago, the quake was much smaller and I only woke up in time to feel a couple seconds of the shaking and chalked it up to dreamy dizziness - until I saw a blurb on the news the next day saying it was a quake.

I've always wanted to feel a small earthquake (non-injury, no-major damage causing) to see what it was like so this was a very cool thing for me. Any other mid-westerners out there feel it?

3 comments:

walternatives said...

It's a strange feeling, isn't it? Unnerving.

Dee said...

I slept through the quake this morning, but I sure felt that aftershock that hit about 10 minutes ago! Wild!

Project Ni Hao said...

Didn't feel it at all. Darn. I thought the same thing - if it's a mild, non-damanging earthquake, it'd be cool to feel it.