Friday, June 23, 2006

2 Months LID

We are now 2 months into the wait for our referral. We do have some goods news:

I got my 'dream' job! Starting next month I'll be practicing my profession with a new company in a very different environment. It's a slight promotion and a larger salary, but it's the setting and company mission so close to my interests that pulled me in. It's going to be challenging and wonderful at the same time. To maintain privacy I won't say more than that, but trust me - I could not be happier.

What does this mean for the adoption? First we will have to eventually do a homestudy update to take with us to China. Our agency indicated to me that they think we will probably have to do this anyway to renew our I-171H (USCIS approval) because it will be very close to expiring by the time we are close to referral.

Second, it means I'm no longer rooting for referrals to speed up - sorry everyone! I'm not eligible for FMLA until working at the new company for a year. If we have to travel before then, we will have to get very creative with our leave. However, our agency seems to think that it is more likely our referral will come after next June (4/20 LID). They also pointed out that in the event our referral comes in next May or June then our travel dates will still be over the year threshold.

9 comments:

Cavatica said...

Congratulations! That sounds great.

Mrs Pushy said...

Sounds like your agency is projecting the wait to be at least 14 months right now. Ours is still stuck on the 12 month timeline. Who knows???

Kim M. said...

Hope things work out for you. Seems you won't have to worry about the wait. I can't imagine it getting shorter.

Beth and Shayna said...

Congrats! We have had similar paths, as I got a new job last summer and did not know what to do with FLMA. Well, I ended up leaving the first year anniversary from my start date. Also, I did not do the homestudy update until my referral. No rush. Congrats again.

Polar Bear said...

Congratulations on the new job! It sounds exciting.

Not so exciting to hear about the wait times, but it will work well for you. Another sign that things are meant to be when they will be. :)

Nina said...

Congratulations on the great new job!!

Tammy said...

Congrats on landing your dream job! You should celebrate!

Tammy

hobbyhungry said...

Tag! You're it! :D

dreamer said...

I have to say we have much in common. Our LID are "close", are you in the April DTC yahoo group?

I also started a new job... and we moved out of state. So some updates to homestudies and our state clearance needs completed. But, the waits I also hope will last >12 months or just about that.

I don't want to get into an issue with taking a 'leave of absence' vs. the FMLA option.

fingers crossed that we reach that threshold but don't go over it by much.